Sunday, October 30, 2005

Blue Roof


I decided, after being informed by my Uncle that there was a place in my area taking applications, to fight the crowds in hopes of obtaining a blue roof. I grabbed my "Wilma" folder, complete with pictures of my house, a bottle of water, my ipod, and set off to stand in what I knew was going to be a terribly long line. I got to the location, a man in a golf cart (who spoke no English) pointed me in the right direction, and off I trudged. I saw a gentleman coming out of the building, and with trepidation, asked him how long of a wait it was. His response: I was in and out in 3 minutes! I could not believe what I was hearing, I just had to see for myself! I wandered up the stairs, and into the building, where some of Miami's finest were having some breakfast, and they too pointed in the direction of the "blue line". I marched up, with one person in front of me, gave the greeter my address, and then was called in within 30 seconds. No lines, no waiting. The form took all of 3 minutes, I was given a claim number and sent on my way with the instructions to paint the claim number on a piece of plywood outside my house. This is all too familiar - after Andrew we all had our names, house numbers, phone numbers, and Insurance company names plastered on our houses. Now, all I have to do is wait for the Army Corps of Engineers to pay me a visit! I am a patient soul though, I can wait! Oh, I do have to note that it was NOT FEMA running this operation today, it was indeed Dade County - I am guessing Dade County has learned from experience - oh wait, hasn't FEMA had even more experience????

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home